Barnburgh & Harlington Parish Council


Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on the Wednesday 8th March 2017, in the Village Hall, Barnburgh.


Present Councillors- T. Heptinstall (Chair), G. Heptinstall, C.White, W.Roper.

Parish Clerk- J Talbot

Ward Councillors-Cllr Ransome

Members of the Public-1

Public participation

Concerns were raised on agenda item 5.2


037/03/17-Chairman’s reminder of the Council’s expectations for the audio or visual recording of the meeting.


038/03/17 - Apologies for absence

Cllr J. Llewellyn, Cllr Richards

Apologies accepted by the Parish Council.


039/03/17– Declarations of pecuniary, non-pecuniary, personal and prejudicial interest

Cllr White-Member of the Joint Rural Parishes Committee/Hs2 committee.


040/03/17 – Exclusions

None were noted


041/03/17 – Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 8th February 2017 were agreed as a true record and duly signed by the Chair.


042/03/17-To receive information on the following ongoing issues matters and decide further action where necessary.


a. To receive a report on the obtaining of stencils to mark the pavement along Church lane and agree any action – The Stencils have now been purchased, paint is required all agreed to purchase paint to complete the stencils in agreed areas.

 b. To receive an update on investigations into obtaining a large sign to put down Mill Lane to warn people against and agree any action .This matter is ongoing, DMBC are looking into signage in conjunction with SYP to deter illegal motor vehicles. DMBC requested that the PC inform them of suitable places in the Parish to erect them. A resident attended to raise concerns about illegal motor vehicles in the Parish. Contact has been made to with the NPT inspector to arrange a meeting to discuss this matter further. Clerk to liaise to agree a date, all agreed to invite members of the public, Ward Cllrs to meeting.

c. To receive details from the SYP Crime and Incident Report 

2x assaults Barnburgh rec / Crown Hotel

1x Nuisance vehicle Doncaster road

1x attempt burglary High street.

d. To receive an update on the current situation with regard to HS2 and agree any action. Cllr White updated the meeting on the action group meeting on Hs2, 611 responses to the consultation have been posted with a further 30 submitted on line.Hs2 Banners in the Parish were discussed as a complaint had been received.

e. To receive any information on investigations into ownership of land behind Cambridge Close and agree any action - Cllr T Heptinstall reported that DMBC had reported the area as a green open space, designated public land. DMBC not to adopt this land; however they will continue to maintain. Ward Cllr Ransome to continue to liaise with DMBC regarding this matter.

f. Restoration of Recreation Ground Clerk

The MUGA is now complete, and the interim payment has been paid. With the toddler area commencing when the play equipment ordered arrives and will be then fitted.

The Clerk updated the meeting on the progress and total spend.

g. To receive a progress report on the Cemetery Wall and decide action required

A visit to West Yorkshire archives needs to be arranged, it was noted that the Parish Council have had no response from the letter relating to the Cemetery Wall. All agreed to send the letter to DMBC.

h. To receive information about the raffle licence for the carnival committee. Cllr Roper informed the meeting that the licence for the village hall cannot be used for the carnival raffle. Also discussed was for a representative to attend the next meeting of the carnival committee. The Clerk to attend.

i. To consider the area across from the Village Hall on the building site.Cllr G Heptinstall updated the meeting on the situation.

j. To receive an update on the Hollow gate speed Limit .Cllr White updated the meeting on the progress. After the recent accident the speed limit will be investigated further.

k. To receive an update on action relating to the condition of the footpaths in the Parish.The Clerk has received an email from DMBC stating that no scheduled work has been planned, however work has been carried out in the Parish, Cllr White raised that the end of Cambridge Close needed work.Cllr White to report to DMBC.

l. To consider installation of a dog bin at the end of Doncaster Road/Furlong Road-.Cllr G Heptinstall. This area comes under Barnsley Council. The Parish Council considered signage, Cllr White proposed a stencil on the pavement or a laminated sign.

m. To receive an update from The Joint Rural Parishes Committee.-Cllr White.

The JRP have received over 1000 Hs2 consultation responses from the various Parishes.

The planning application for the Moto service station was discussed, this has been added to face book to notify residents.  There has been a change in the Scheduled litter programme from DMBC with the creation of the transformation programme. These will only be carried out once a year, unless requested by the Parish Council.

n. To receive an update on reported signage to planning in the Parish. – The clerk updates the meeting on the current situation with reported signage to planning.


 043/03/17. To receive information relating to the Allotments

a.      To consider information relating to the allotment training that the clerk attended.

The clerk informed the meeting that there was funding available to add fencing and make improvements to allotments. The Clerk to investigate further and report to the next meeting.

b.      To consider a request from tenants for signage.

Cllr T Heptinstall to pass the details of a signage company to the Clerk.


044/03/17. To receive an update on the Casual Vacancy on the Parish Council

 No further interest noted, all agreed to continue to advertise the vacancy.   




045/03/17. To consider and decide upon the following planning applications:

·        17/00448/FUL-Erection of 4 bedroom detached house following the demolition of existing dwelling/Draft-White Gates, Stables lane Barnburgh. No Objection noted.



046/03/17. To receive the following planning decisions/information.

·        16/03042/FUL-Extensions and alterations including first floor extension to side, oak framed porch to front, oak framed garden shelter to rear, replacement garage door, creation of stone planter to front and alterations to external openings(part retrospective)10, Doncaster Road, Barnburgh. Awaiting Decision

·        16/03096/FUL-Formation of loft conversion incorporating dormer windows to front, extension to porch, reduction in size of the front windows,bi fold doors to rear and pitched roof to the garage.19, Church lane, Harlington. Granted


047/03/17.To consider matters as requested by Councillors

a.–Footpath at the end of Stable Lane-Cllr White, wood chips have been added to the footpath by a resident to improve the surface.Cllr T Heptinstall informed the meeting that this was a DMBC bridleway and could be classed as flytipping.Clerk to contact DMBC to request materials to help improve the situation.

b.2-Replacement sign for Cambridge Close- Cllr White, the clerk has reported to DMBC

C.-Discoloured sign on the green-Cllr White, action completed.

D.4-Graffiti on the back of the porta cabin-Cllr White, reported to DMBC and action completed.


048/03/17. Financial Matters

a.To approve the following accounts for payment


Cheques/electronic  Authorised Payments


Cheque number/

Electronic payment





Clerks Salary


Julia Talbot




Clerks Expenses


Julia Talbot




Gardener/handy man/salary


George Gill





Cq 101439






Cq 101440





Skip for Burial






Stencils for dog fouling


Laser cutting services Ltd




Printing for grape vine


John Brailsford




Recreation Ground /MUGA






Solicitor meeting






Hs2 Costs


C .White




Grapevine delivery






Loan Payment








Scottish Power.





Total for March







b.To consider Bank Reconciliation

Bank Reconciliation

Balances brought forward from 28th February 2016


 Community Account                               £71,328.36

                             Total payments           £4,577.40                                                                                                    

                             Total   Receipts           £ 775.00                                                                                   

                              New Total B/f           £67,525.96

Total Payments March 2017           -    £38,651.48

Unpresented cheques        - £1,031.33

Account Totals

Community Account                            £71,328.36

Deposit account/reserves                     £ 13,998.77                                            

Carnival account                                  £ 1,712.30    

 Total                                                   £89,147.88


 c.To update the bank mandate to add Cllr Roper.

Bank mandate updated and signed by all in attendance.


049/03/17. To consider the following new correspondence received and decide action where necessary.

The Clerk presented correspondence received in addition information, forwarded to all Parish Councillors prior to the meeting.

·        YLCA-Section 137 expenditure limit for financial year 2017/18.

·        Free NHS checks enquiry-details to be sent to carnival committee.

·        DMBC Streetscene - service level agreement.

·        Agenda for Joint Consultative Committee,Cllr White to attend.


050/03/17. To propose any matters for inclusion on the agenda of the next meeting and agree deadline for notifying Clerk of additional items.

The deadline for agenda items from Councillors is 5th April 2017.


051/03/17. To confirm the date of the next meeting as Wednesday 12th April 2017

at 7.00 pm.


Meeting End:-8.55pm.